Brief historical Introduction to the Remington 1863
Twenty-three year old Eliphalet Remington II founded the E. Remington & Sons Company in 1816. The firm opened shop first on the family estate. Twelve years later, the enterprise move a half mile closer to the power and transport resources of the Mohawk River, near present day Ilion, New York. There firm remains today, where it still produces arms of superior quality.
(1793 - 1861),*
| The company around 1840
Ilion, New York,*
Eliphalet Remington was married to Abigail Paddock, mother of his sons Philo, Eliphalet III, and Samuel. The three young men later became active participants in company affairs. Over time, the growing concern developed additional products. They included typewriters and farm equipment.
In 1858, Remington obtained the patent for a revolver with an enclosed frame. The design featured a metal bar to strengthen the top of the cylinder void. First off the assembly line came the New Model Army, followed three years later by the Old Model Army patented in 1861.
Following the outbreak of the American Civil War (1861-1865), Remington seized new business opportunities. They came in the wake of the inability of the Samuel Colt firm to meet the U. S. Army’s increasing need for reliable firearms. Confident of his improved .44 caliber revolver, Remington introduced Ordnance officials to his New Model Army. It seems some Department decision-makers considered the new arm insufficient for service use. Nevertheless, the continuing emergency prompted the Army to order some 106,000 pistols from Remington in 1863. It soon became the standard issue arm for officers and mounted troops. The new revolver enjoyed considerable popularity in the field. Robust, the piece, when gripped by the barrel, could serve as a lethal hammer. The less-study Colt counterpart accommodated little misuse, however.
| Advertisement offerings a Remington
Conversions im cal. .46,*
While pre-war technical development continued to improve American handguns, the Smith & Wesson Company introduced a breechloader. This patented design fired the improved metal cased cartridges of the Rolli-White pattern. Although issued as early as 1855, this ammunition patent sparked no commercial production because the new metal cartridges were considered expensive and still in the development stage. In 1865, after the war, Remington became a joint stock company. Soon thereafter, the enterprise licensed Smith & Wesson to produce a conversion modification suitable for use with metallic ammunition. As a result, by 1868, consumers could obtain a good functioning movement for the New Model Army as well as for the smaller size S&W models.
with engraved Rollin White Patent mark,*
*Bildmaterial mit freundlicher Genehmigung
zur Veröffentlichung von der Firma Remington.
Politic and economy